Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hello fellow classmates! I graduated from Texas State University in May of 2005 with a degree in Mass Communications – Electronic Media. After graduation I went to work for my hometown newspaper, The Bay City Tribune. I moved to Austin in February of 2006 and began working for Statewide Intake. This is my second semester as a graduate student!

I am interested in this course because new media is the present and future of communications. I have never attempted to use html, flash, or any other web design product. I am very excited about learning how to use them!

I liked Baron’s view of new media. Baron says, "The computer is simply the latest step in a long line of writing technologies". I like this viewpoint. I had never thought of new media in this way before. We start with writing itself and move forward with pencils, the telegraph, the typewriter, computers, and the abundance of new technologies that allows us to communicate. It allows us to not only communicate with each other but we can use it for so much more: creating movies, manipulating images, listening to and downloading music, and so much more. Who knows what we will be able to do with new media in the future. I'm excited to find out! I am also interested in knowing what impact the computer and other technologies have on literacy.

PS. I’m interested in being a part of SXSW!

No comments: