Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Issues in New Media

Hello everyone, my name is Adam Chance Lee and this is my first official blog appearance. I graduated a little over a month ago from Texas State University with a degree in public relations and business administration. I currently help run a nightly tutoring center at a boarding school on the edge of town where I am the lead tutor in economics, technical writing, literature and history. I am also working on a grammar and composition book for the academy to use with their study skills program. In making this personal section short I will now effectively sum myself up in a few points:

- I am an avid reader with a love for philosophy and history.
- George Orwell and Chuck Palahniuk are forever my favorite authors.
- I have completed numerous internships in numerous business areas but I usually end up helping the employees with minor computer problems and maintenance (yeah for electronic savvy youth).
- I love music (current obsessions include Say Anything and RX Bandits).

In reading Manovich's article New Media: A User's Guide, I feel that it is easy to agree with his points on how the evolution of technology and media have created a customizable template ready to be drawn on by users. New media allows the users to be unique in a world where new versions of existing technologies are created everyday. Manovich states that the logic of old media corresponded to the logic of industrial mass society and the logic of new media fits the logic of the post-industrial society of personal variability. Our society slowly gave us more options and variability over time and now we demand it as users of certain technologies. Every generation is blessed with new technologies that make things quicker and easier; new media takes the slower technologies so that it may be built upon and improved. We as users create the market for particular technologies along with the push to make these technologies faster and more customizable. If our idea of a utopia is being personally unique in our media technologies then rock on new media.

No comments: