Wednesday, October 14, 2009

SWSX & my topic...

For my hobby / organization site I'll be covering the San Marcos Lion's Club. They are the service organization that operates the tube rental facility by Strahan. Their biggest fundraiser is the tube rentals and they give that money to non-profits and social service agencies all over Hays County. I'm a new member to the organization (because the non-profit I work for Southside Community Center (www.southsidecommunitycenter.org) is one of the agencies that receives support from the Lions. My site for them will be for the organization and its members, not for tourists and the tube rental customers. Their site as it stands now is www.tubesanmarcos.com.

I learned alot about SWSX perusing the site and researching old speakers. I found these two to be the most interesting...

Socialalchemy.com was peculiar...I'd be interested to see what Nancy Rhine of Socialalchemy.com had to say at SWSX. The actual site looked like a textbook example of the bad sites we've talked about in class. The content grappled with the meaning of human life, and asked questions like "what is the meaning of knowledge" and "what is human personality?" I feel like I'm missing something here. The site references ancient philosophers, and spells Aristotle wrong...

I was interested in Pamela Ribbon of pamie.com. It sounds like she's the perfect example of somebody who spent years building up their personal brand. She admits on her site that her content evolved over the years and her site was originally full of diary entries of how much she loved her boyfriend. She says now she pays the bills with it, and I'd be interested to hear what got her from A to B.

No comments: