Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Next Big Thing

Not knowing a ton about advertising or public relations, I can still guess that the next "big thing" is going to be more interactive than we've seen yet. After reading Secret Web Sites, Coded Messages: The New World of Immersive Ad Campaigns, it seems like people become more enticed and drawn to a product when there's more than meets the eye. People like to be their own detectives when it comes to buying large items in particular - they do tons of research when buying a car or even a new TV, and when they find the one that exudes a certain attitude or makes them feel like this product and them are "meant to be," people go nuts. For example, even watching Lost, makes me feel like I'm in a certain club with secret handshakes and codes that can be limitless in terms of interactivity with others and online. It's kind of prevalent in the car ads that are like mini-movies that allow people to visit the sites and become part of a larger story.

That said, I think more specifically, this next big thing in the ad industry will follow the current trends of transcending all mediums - giving the audience the ability to research a product immediately and completely interact with it before actually buying it. Ad and PR companies will sell the idea of the product and involve the consumer with it before actually physically touching it - whether that be a virtual experience in a video game or an interactive experience online.

One thing that I don't really see working - which is a fad I think AD/PR groups are beginning to see isn't really working as well - is the annoying pop-up, pop-under ads that we only click on by mistake or, in the case of people like Theresa, just curious to see where they take us. Regardless, I think Greenberg was right in the NY Times article when he said, "technology is going to wreak havoc on the agency business. Because of advances in technology and communication, we're surrounded by information we see and hear. Overload is a huge issue." The overload of constantly being hit with advertisements wherever we go is becoming absolutely ridiculous. I've come to expect half of my screen being taken up with a Progressive Insurance ad every time I check my hotmail account (Yes, Dee, I have one too). People are being turned off to and numb to these abundant and intruding methods.

One ad I actually like is the interactive game ads that do not get you to a certain point in the game, then automatically take you to their site - like those annoying "Punch Osama Bin Laden and Win a New Laptop" ads. I was just watching Lost and during one of their online "commercial breaks," instead of the typical Allstate ad, there was a snowball game by Sprint. There was no sound, nor did I see any phones. I just saw my opponent and began throwing snowballs at him - and this game actually required skill. After 30 seconds of playing was up, I was allowed to watch the next segment of the show. However, I kept playing the game for a good minute, with the Sprint logo in the corner of my eye the whole time. I thought this was very effective because it was non-intrusive and undemanding, and it was actually fun. I remembered that ad more and have a better feeling about Sprint than any other ad from watching that show online. Maybe that's the next "big thing" for those who don't care about searching for clues or being part of a "club."

I think it's awesome to read that "it's a great time to be in digital, provided you're part of the select group that has real experience in Flash development or web design and can help create the sophisticated integrated-marketing programs that agencies and their clients increasingly are demanding" from the Ad Age article. That makes me feel like I'm going into the right career path financially (not that I necessarily want to be a web designer). I guess it's good to know that I'm going into a field where my skills are in demand for once - unlike most other mass mediums. Definitely an exciting time to be learning this stuff too. I'm interested to see what this "next big thing" will actually be, but it seems like the traditional "informing and reminding" aspect of advertising is absolutely evolving with click-thru and interactive methods.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Totally with you on the 'Lost' thing Jon. I spent hours trying to find the secret codes in the Hanso site when it first came out;)

I also agree that pop up ads have to go. Who would ever click on one if they weren't tricked into doing it?

I might be biased because my field is search engine marketing, but I have to believe that companies that find creative ways of 'being there' when people are searching or researching will be the big winners when it comes to advertising. People are getting fed up with being blasted with ads from everywhere that are of no interest to them.

Good article