Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Crystal Ball is a little fuzzy...

but I think advertising is going to become less in your face. For example, CNN.com has an ad on their homepage for Travel Deals from Sherman's Travel. The full name of the company isn't on the site at all. You have to click on it to find out the company's name. There isn't a pop-up, there isn't a huge ad that comes up if you accidentally roll over the ad (those are annoying). By the way, I'm not very savvy about advertising...so...be gentle!

The Nike-Google Social Networking site, www.joga.com, seems to be an interesting idea but it's invitation only. My issue with this is that people invited to the site most likely already buy Nike products. Why not make it open for everyone? Homes says this is the latest example of how Nike is "keeping in touch with its core consumers: young males who increasingly get their information from digital sources". But, what about other consumers like women? In a previous PEW article men and women were equally likely to use the Internet to buy products. Also, 66% of those who go online are women while 68% are men. I don't think this type of advertising will be a trend because it is too specific in terms of the audience.

I felt the Garfield article regarding the Brawny Academy was funny. I think the concept was good but the execution - not so much. I don't feel that a "Survivor-like" weekly Internet program is really going to up the sales of paper towels. I like how Garfield pokes fun at the concept by saying "We're supposed to lean forward on our desktops to follow the adventures of eight dopes who we probably wouldn't even exchange pleasantries with at the bus stop?" He goes on to say that these videos are targeted at women. I certainly would not a) watch these videos or 2) buy these paper towels because some random guy ran some sort of obstacle course. I don't really think there is a way to properly advertise for paper towels other than showing that Brawny is a thicker towel able to absorb more mess than the other brand(s). Their website now offers "one minute solutions" to tasks like cleaning the fridge, keeping lettuce fresher longer, and making sure your crystal wine glasses sparkle!

I enjoyed O'Brien's article. He talks about how "they (consumers) can bypass unwanted advertising". This is why I love DVR. I can record a show and fast forward through 3 minutes worth of commercials. When I have the time...and sit down and watch programming - that's what I want to see. Recently ABC announced plans to block people from fast-forwarding through commercials while using video-on-demand. Here's the article. O'Brien also mentions that "technology has put consumers in the driver's seat by giving them a vast array of new choices for better information". He goes to mention the interactivity and creativity ads. I think this goes back to what I said earlier about non-intrusive ads. We can click on an ad and go to a website but only if we want to. P.S. I like the Hell's Kitchen/Lonelyville/Death Valley bit.

I think Chrysler's online ads were smart, funny and a good idea. I would much rather listen to someone like "the Glitter Goddess" than a paid actor. I want to know that I'm getting a good value for my money, especially when it comes to buying a car. When I bought my car, I did what the article mentions. I went online and researched different cars before making the ultimate decision. Of course I test drove and all that jazz first. But, going online to look at different makes and models helped me to narrow down my choices. If I would have seen these ads I would not have bought a Chrysler but they would have been fun to watch! I also like the other interactive features like the games. Chrysler can get e-mail addresses to send information etc. to customers or potential customers.

I like Reznor's idea in the Wired Magazine article. However, I don't think I would have put a USB drive I found in a bathroom stall into my computer. I think having all those pieces come together is an innovative and interesting advertising campaign. He was able to get his message across as well as advertise for his latest album using a newer medium in a relatively new way. It got people involved and was a lesser invasive form of advertising. They also mention JJ Abrams using similar tactics for Cloverfield and AI. I think I may be in love with 42 Entertainment. Think they'd hire me? 

When I was declaring a major in college my parents wanted me to go into some sort of computer/digital field. I resisted and now I wish I would have - or maybe minored in it. I knew that it would be a big field but after reading the Digital-talent article I wish I would have joined the digital party a little earlier. But I guess it's good that I showed up right? Anyway, if I knew as much about flash, InDesign, and other software I would probably do the same thing these guys are doing and charge more. They know there aren't that many people with these skills (which I hope to have someday!) and they are in high demand. 

As far as PR goes I agree with Marken's statement "for public relations people e-mail and Internet-based communications provides a new and exciting opportunity to reach people directly". They can send interactive press kits, alert media outlets to press conferences, etc. He also mentions the Internet "puts all businesses large and small on a competitively equal footing". I think this is true in most cases - depending on how it is used. However, I wonder what will happen if the net is no longer neutral and restrictions are not only placed on residential broadband but also commercial.

Sorry for rambling...:)






No comments: