Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I hate what "The Matrix" has done to culture...

Hmmk...I can see both sides of this arguement. 

But let's see what technology has to say about Mr. Carr's complaints...

Carr- 
"...my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle."

WebMD-
  • FDA Approves New ADHD Drug Vyvanse Open in new window...96% lower if Vyvanse were...be found? I started taking...I already feel a difference...I lose concentration, thoughts racing...want to do a million...I have always worked very...date. Anyone else...WebMD Blogs
  • Daytrana Open in new window...preparations feel as if they...peak concentrations of...should always be...children. I am...you do not...m lookingfor...anybody else who...way, im tired...to something new...to begin with...WebMD Blogs
  • ADHD and Anxiety Open in new window...successfully added. If your child...anxiety problems, I'd suggest...on "How do you know...and teacher.Something I believe...like everyone else. Too bad...is not always well tolerated...start to...WebMD Blogs
  • Adderall abuse in college students Open in new window...side effects. If someone tolerates...were me, I'd rather...however I do have a...and frail looking now, it...is FlamablePanties im serious. dont...do anything else i have...to Adderall. Something...WebMD BlogsMaybe Google is not the problem. Or maybe Google wise to Carr. 
    I can sort of identify with Carr here. My problem is not reading, it's memory recall. Like Carr, I don't think I'm losing my mind, but where I used to be able to recall vocabularly, movie trivia, street names, song titles, etc., now after minutes of staring into space to recall, I frustratingly turn to Dictionary.com, IMDB, Google Maps, or Wikipedia (Most of which I have either bookmarked on my browser's toolbar or set up as a widget). 
    Yep. 


    Mainly, I beleive that all this is helpful-- but partly, I do agree with Mr. Darlin's arguement about the trade-off of fast information for time-sucking aps
    Carr brought up the example of 2001: A Space Odyssey. This brought to mind a few other films about the end of technology and the future. 
    Most of these are a bit bleak. At the risk of sounding like someone who has taken these too seriously, something about Carr's arguemnt resounds with the "we can make technology so advacned that we are dependant on it, and when it breaks, or turns on us we are in big trouble." 
    And maybe one day we will all turn to monkeys. Wouldn't that play into Carr's hand niceley...

    In my opinion, I think that culturally, academically, scientifically, and leasurely, we are in a better place thanks to technologoy/Google. I agree that we have more time to think creatively when we are not bogged down with tedious things computers can do for us. But, if this were to happen, and we were to rely on what we know how to do, how many traditional mental tasks and scientific and mathmatical skills have been phased out because we have computers to do them for us?Based on this post, spelling, is one I would struggle with sans technology.

No comments: