Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Drooling Googlers

OPINION: Lewis Knight

I have to admit, I think I'm getting a little older. Every time a new technology of a new innovative use for technology comes out, I find myself dragging my feet to learn and use it. I have been told that change is harder for old people to accept and "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". What I think it comes down to is that sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to put forth the effort to learn something new, that once learned will in some small or large way improve my life (kind of like going to the gym I guess). Once I take the time - burn a few brain cells and learn the new tool of life I'm always better off for it.
This brings me to my point. As mentioned in the Damon Darlin article "Technology Doesn't Dumb Us Down. It Frees Our Mind", all new innovation is criticized by the current established elite in what ever the arena may be. What it boils down to is that someone is about to loose a position of power unless the keep current. Fear motivates the "nay-sayers" to criticize innovation not the shortcomings of said innovation.
The printing press is mentioned as an innovation once panned by critics. Well those married to the printed word said Radio and then TV would be the downfall of society. I think society was a great let down to those with vision that were never able to bring those technologies to their fullest potential.
With each new technological advancement comes the responsibility to use that tool or innovation to the full potential of human good. We regularly fall short not the tools we use.
I'm sorry I could not write this in less than 140 characters, I'm still getting that "Twitter" thing worked out in my head. I tried to google a couple of more stories that would support my opinion - Can someone be to dumb for google?

Fun :Techno" Myths
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.docommand=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9115045

No comments: