Wednesday, November 17, 2010

PICKLEBALL!!! "Keeping Austin's Sport Weird"



Get ready and lets learn about Pickleball! I love new obscure sports. Being a recreation graduate student, I was excited to have a chance to use my new skills, learned from my Mass Communication class, that work with my field and interests. Doug Seliger and I are going to do our multimedia reporting on the new sport of Pickleball.

I know the name Pickleball sounds funny. To keep the story short Pickleball is a sport crossed between tennis and pingpong. It is played on a 1/4th the size playing area of Tennis a court and played with large paddles. This inclusive sport allows most people to be ability to play. Currently this sport is growing in senior population, middle schools, and at camps all across America.




The United States of America Pickleball Association (
USAPA) is trying to grow this sport by offering grants for awareness and to start new places to play. I recently received a grant for this sport to help bring this sport to Austin. This report will be a great way to promote and educate people in the City of Austin on this great sport. Let’s keep Austin’s sports weird!

No comments: