Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mass Comm Week Events

Mass Comm week featured a great number of panels that I found interesting yet I was only able to make it to one event in person. Thankfully, other panels were broadcast online and that allowed me to watch them without leaving the comfort of my apartment.

The panel that I watched online was the panel over the Trends in Location-Based Social Networking was very informative as well as enlightening. I enjoyed the guys talking about how they came up with Gowalla and how they came up with the idea of location based services. I thought their personal stories were pretty funny and it was very easy for me to connect with them and feel like I knew them from somewhere.

The panel that I was able to attend was The Voice of the Spurs with Bill Schoening. I have always enjoyed sports broadcasting and that was the field that I originally came to Texas State pursuing. Of course, things have now changed and I am now pushing to become a Sports Info Director. Bill offered a lot of insight into how difficult it is out there to land a job and what I found interesting was his advice to start off in a small market and then work your way up the ladder to get to where you want to be. He used his journey through the ladder as a guidance for those who wanted to follow in his footsteps. He had some pretty interesting stories as well and I think my favorite story was the fact that he knew Wilt Chamberlain and he grew up with Kobe Bryant's father.

No comments: